Do you know that a person could live without food for about a month, but cannot live more than a week without water?
Water is crucial to your health making up around 60 per cent of your body weight. Every system in your body depends on water. Lungs expel two to four cups water each day through breathing. If your feet sweat, there goes another cup. If you make half a dozen trips to the bathroom, that’s six cups. A person would have to lose only 10 per cent of water in the body to be considered dehydrated.
Signs and symptoms of dehyration : Excessive thirst, fatigue, headache, dry mouth, little or no urination, muscle weakness, dizziness, lightheadedness
Advantages of drinking sufficient quantity of water:
1. Lessens kidney stones, keeps joints lubricated, and lessens colds and flu and keeps digestive system in order.
2. Acts as a body purifier by removing toxins and waste. Skin needs water for elasticity, so too little leaves it looking dry, wrinkled and dull.
3. Hot lemon water works wonders in a weight loss programme.
4. People mistake thirst to be hunger and fatigue. Drink for energy and vitality.
5. Keeps headaches at bay and fights infections.
6. Blood transports oxygen to muscles for activities. Lack of oxygen in blood creates lactic acid, causing cramps. Water helps keep blood pumped with oxygen.
7. A healthy hydrated body removes waste with light yellow urine. Dark urine is more concentrated and waste products linger in the bladder, leaving you prone to cystitis and kidney infections.
8. Water helps to flush out poisons (chemicals, additives, junk food). Without water, contents of the colon dry out, eventually causing diverticulitis and constipation.
9. When you are felling puffy before a period, drinking plenty of water is the best treatment to prevent fluid retention.
10. Bad breath is a classic sign that you need to boost your water intake. Lack of water dries the mouth, leads to furry tongue and prevents bacteria from being washed away.
You need to drink two litres of water, which is approximately eight glasses everyday, to keep your system hydrated.