Barack Obama: the first African-American President of USA
Barack Obama today takes over as the 44th President of USA, the most powerful country in the world. He inherits a recession-ridden economy and the politics of brinkmanship from his predecessor, George Bush.
The Americans and the entire world look to Obama for a change in the world scenario.
His election plank was : Change and
the positive assertion of his campaign was : Yes, We Can.
Hereunder are some of his personal likes and dislikes:
• He collects Spider-Man and Conan the Barbarian comics
• He was known as “O’Bomber” at high school for his skill at basketball
• His name means “one who is blessed” in Swahili
• He is left-handed – the 6th post-war president to be left-handed
• He has read every Harry Potter book
• He owns a set of red boxing gloves autographed by Muhammad Ali
• He worked in a Baskin-Robbins ice cream shop as a teenager and now can’t stand ice cream
• His favourite snacks are chocolate-peanut protein bars
• He ate dog meat, snake meat, and roasted grasshopper while living in Indonesia
• He promised Michelle he would quit smoking before running for president – he didn’t
• He kept a pet ape called Tata while in Indonesia
• He carries a tiny Madonna and child statue and a bracelet belonging to a soldier in Iraq for good luck
• He applied to appear in a black pin-up calendar while at Harvard but was rejected by the all-female committee.
• His favourite films are Casablanca and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
• As a teenager he took drugs including marijuana and cocaine
• His favourite music includes Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Bach and The Fugees
• He enjoys Scrabble and poker
• He hates the youth trend for trousers which sag beneath the backside
• He repaid his student loan only four years ago after signing his book deal
• Daughter Malia’s godmother is Jesse Jackson’s daughter Santita
• He says his worst habit is constantly checking his BlackBerry
• He owns four identical pairs of black size 11 shoes
• He was given the code name “Renegade” by his Secret Service handlers
• He plans to install a basketball court in the White House grounds