In Bollywood, a Smart Film is described as a movie that is made on a realistic budget with thought-provoking content. The examples are : Raj Kumar Gupta’s Aamir, Nishikant Kamat’s Mumbai Meri Jaan and Neeraj Panday’s A Wednesday.
In 2010, Bollywood has come out with a number of Smart Films which broke even at the box office, won critical acclaim and made the film festival circuit.
Hereunder is the list of Smart Films made in 2010:
(1) Anusha Rizvi’s Peepli Live that made it to the prestigious Sundance Film Festival and is India’s official entry to the Oscars
(2) Dibarakar Banerjee’s Love Sex Aur Dhoka that has made it to the IMDB list of 15 most preferred films
(3) Vikram Aditya Motwane’s Udaan that played at Cannes
(4) Abhishek Chaubey’s Ishqiya that has won notices at festivals in Cairo, Stuggart, Munich and Florence
(5) Abhishek Sharma’s Tere Bin Laden that went on to become the year’s sleeper hit
(6) Subhash Kapoor’s Phas Gaya Re Obama that unanimously wowed the critics and the public
(7) Habib Faisal’s Do Dooni Char that was picked up by Disney because of its smart yet sensitive writing