Awarded Malayalam film ‘Kesu’ dragged to court

Awarded Malayalam film 'Kesu' dragged to court

Kochi, Oct 5 : The 57th national award given to Malayalam children’s film “Kesu” directed by Sivan was challenged Tuesday in the Kerala High Court, which has questioned the jury and the central government over the matter, a lawyer said.

The petition filed by filmmaker Majid Gulistan sought the cancellation of the award given to Sivan’s film.

The court, in an interim order, has sought the minutes of the regional jury which recommended the film, said N. Nandakumara Menon, counsel for Gulistan whose children’s film “Chithrakuzhal” was rejected by the regional jury.

Speaking to IANS, Menon said the petition has been accepted in the bench of Justice Antony Dominic who has asked notices to be served to the jury members and officials in the information and broadcasting ministry.

“The prayer was to cancel the award to ‘Kesu’ directed by Sivan and to reconsider Gulistan’s film after convening the regional jury,” Menon said.

The interim order also asked those who have been served the notices to appear Oct 12, said Menon.

Among those who have been served notices are officials of the ministry, Sivan, his son Sanjeev Sivan, who was a member in the regional jury, and national jury member and director Harikumar.

“Kesu”, which won the national award for best children’s film, has been in the news since its release last year because Harikumar claimed it to be a remake of his 2001 film “Pularvattom”. He alleged that it was a remake of his earlier work.

Sivan is the father of filmmakers Santosh, Sangeeth and Sanjeev.

The award for “Kesu” has come under attack from several quarters since Sivan’s son was a member of the regional jury.

Meanwhile, Gulistan’s film “Chithrakuzhal” will have its first public screening here Wednesday when Forest Minister Binoy Viswan inaugurates an exhibition along with the screening of the film.

Comments are closed.